Sunday, June 01, 2008

My upbringing as Pelagian. Quite right. Read all of it.

Too many Evangelical accounts of personal eschatology are simply Pelagian: I make decisions, and God responds to them. This has to be wrong. If salvation always coincides with visible faith, then it is because God decides to save, and as a result grants faith (see Edwards's sermon on justification by faith for some very close analysis of this), not because I decide to have faith and thereby force God to do something different. (Almost no-one ever held that salvation always coincides with visible faith, though; the 10-20% mortality rate amongst infants in pre-penicillin Europe & America saw to that.) What determines the outcome is not what goes on in my heart, but what goes on in God's heart, and what God does to my heart.


http://shoredfragments.wordpress.com/2008/05/25/pastoral-eschatology/

No comments: